Wednesday 2 October 2013

Music Choice and Initial Idea


Now that I have finished my deconstructions of existing music videos I have an understanding of the generic conventions of music videos for different genres. Now I can decide on what genre and song I want to use for my promotional package for a new artist.

I have decided to focus on the Alternative/Indie genre. I have decided to use this genre because of the style of the music videos of this genre that I have discovered in my deconstructions. With this style I can use my creativity and all of my skills to create a interesting, visually pleasing music video.

I have decided to use an existing band that I know well called ‘Dutch Criminal Record’ (DCR) for my music video. They are an indie genre band that are well known in my local area. They are not signed to a record label and so work independently doing small gigs in and around Chichester. However, recently they have done gigs in places such as London and Portsmouth. They write their own music and lyrics and perform their own original songs live.

After looking through and listening to some of their songs I have chosen to use ‘One Day’ for my music video. It is an upbeat song which fits with the idea that I have for my video. My plan is to play on the fact that they play their own instruments and so I will show off their talents by using shots such as close ups and mid shots showing that they can play. My idea is that the video will be footage of them playing in different locations, for example at a particular part in the song I would like to have the drummer playing alone in a field and then the other members of the band, the bassist and two guitarists, in other separate locations. At the end of the video they will join together to make their band a whole for the final chorus.

In order for my video to work I will need to carefully plan each of my locations and other things such as props and costume in order to keep the continuity up to a high standard. I will also need to keep in mind that the band must be playing at the same speed as their recorded track when I film in order to get their lip syncing perfect when I am editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment